A Visit To Menaggio Lake Como Italy
Menaggio is a jewel located in northern Italy on the western shore of Lake Como at the mouth of the river Senagra. Menaggio can be reached by car or bus service from Como by ASF Autolinee (Route C10) or from Lugano Switzerland by bus service by ASF Autolinee (Route C12). Menaggio is very popular with tourists all year round so please be sure to make reservations for your preferred hotel well in advance. Hotels B&B Guest House or villas are available in many price ranges and good restaurants as well as great gelaterias are easy to find here. So know that you are settled in and had your first few wow experiences from the fantastic views to the lake and mountains what should you visit next?
Here are a few cool visits you should not miss as all are close by and well worth your time:
1. Boat tours: well you can hire your own boat or water taxi or just get on the Lake Como ferry service, a highly developed public transport system linking the many small towns around the Lake. Start to explore town by town or pick your favorite and do one a day.
2. Visit Villa Carlotta in the nearby town of Tremezzo. See the Villa Carlotta with the impressive gardens laid out in the former classical Italian style with different varieties of rhododendrons and azaleas. The neoclassical villa stands above three terraces and offers fantastic views over the lake area.
3. Another stop over is to visit Villa Del Balbianello, situated at Lenno at the far end of the peninsula Lavedo. This is yet another fantastic view point due to its special location offering awesome panoramic views of the lake and surrounding mountains.
4. Bellagio, one of the most popular tourist stops is right across the lake from Menaggio. Here a must is a visit to the Villa Serbelloni, it can only be visited by guided tour. Napoleon was here and that it was owned by a member of the Rockefeller family. Plus some romantic movies got made here and the area around Lake Como.
5. Menagio itself offers some awesome views along the walks through the town and its numerous gardens. Along the way you can take a look at some of Menaggio’s lovely little churches: San Stefano (17th century), San Giusto and San Carlo accompanied by a beautiful bell tower and the ruins of a medieval castle above the town is also worth a visit.
6. And last but not least stop over often have a little gelato and a cappuchino or try some antipasta, snacks and aperitifs. Feast on a great dinner at one of the many local restaurants, dont forget to check out the narrow backstreets as many little jewels are hidden away from the main street.
Attached we show you some images thanks to picsfrom.com from around Menaggio and the Lake Como. Those images where taken in September of 2013.